GQ today announced the finalists for the second annual Best New Menswear Designers in America project, and we love their selections. The award started in collaboration with the Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) last year and recognizes the rising stars of American men’s fashion design. The six designers were selected as finalists by GQ creative director Jim Moore and the magazine’s fashion department, and each will be featured in the February 2009 issue. We've got a preview after the jump. A panel of industry experts, including GQ editor-in-chief Jim Nelson, American menswear designer Thom Browne, and CFDA executive director Steven Kolb, will determine the winner.
The six finalists are:
• Benjamin Bixby (Andre Benjamin, designer)
• Robert Geller (Robert Geller, designer)
• Rogues Gallery (Alex Carleton, designer)
• Save Khaki (David Mullen, designer, pictured left)
• Shipley & Halmos (Sam Shipley and Jeff Halmos, designers)
• Yigal Azrouël (Yigal Azrouël, designer)
As part of the selection process, the designers will each present a selection of looks from their 2009
fall collections at a special event in NYC on February 11. You can read short interviews with each designer here.
Photos for GQ by Peggy Sirota.
Shipley & Halmos