We caught up with Pan. editor at the transcultural style bible Trace last week and got to talking. As a staffer at Trace for several years, Pan is definitely on top of what's hot now and has shared some of his favorite things with us:
1. Although I enjoy a healthy diet of the latest hip-hop beef, I'm much more taken by the energy of Brazilian Baile Funk and the gravity of Nigerian Afro-beat, right about now...anyone with an inside track on cheap trips to either of these countries, I'm all friggin' ears.
2. I've always been a fan of independent film, and as an aspiring lensman myself, I've found recent inspiration in the visuals of Fernando Meirelles' City Of Men and Ramin Bahrani's Chop Shop. Also, I always look forward to the ultra-stylish work of Korean director, Park Chan-wook, and his psychological thrillers.
More after the jump
3. My whip was recently stolen (which is common in my hometown, Newark, NJ) and if I could scramble an extra $110,000 (that's a ball and change), the new Audi R8 would be a mean look for me...if not, I’d be happy with a vintage “Motorcycle Diaries”-type bike.
4. Lately, my approach to style has been traditional-meets-tech. I like to pair traditional sportswear/outdoor/military looks (a la the Engineered Garments jacket I'm wearing in the photo) with high-tech or contemporary-street accessories.
5. I'm a nut when it comes to the "fistic" arts, and take every opportunity to watch boxing and mixed martial arts matches. I've trained and coached boxing in the past, and once I start my Gracie Jiu-Jitsu training, I promise you won't wanna tangle with me.
Besides the above, I'm happy anywhere beautiful women are present, and if Obama doesn't win this damn election, I'll probably retire to some far away tropical land and teach English, or something...